Friday, May 30, 2008

Online Hard Drive: DropBox

Although still on its beta testing, DropBox catches my full attention and deserves to be my first URL posting. DropBox carries 2GB of online storage as of this writing, and the best feature is you can access your saved files anywhere in the world, for as long as you install their program on the PC you're using.

This is a great technology especially if you us multi-PCs. You can access your files offline or online, and the files update automatically upon internet connection. No need to worry of overwriting and manually copying said files.

On the downside, whenever my net connection fluctuates, my files don't get updated immediately. In fact, when I work on a particular file saved on my DropBox folder and instantly shut down my PC after seconds of saving the file, there are bigger chances that your file will not be saved with the new changes. My advice is save your file at Dropbox folder and give at least 5 minutes to let the file update itself before you shut down your computer. Your guide that it is updated will be the "green check mark" icon on your file.

All in all, it is still a great innovation. This site lets me do away with USB drive file transfers. I don't worry about virus infections (not yet, anyways) and peripherals.


For today, I give DropBox: *****

No comments: